- 38th Governor of Minnesota
- Pro to the question "Should Recreational Marijuana Be Legal?"
“I say legalize marijuana because we have a chance to leave this world a better place for our children. Marijuana legalization is job creation, tax dollars, something to rejuvenate our pathetic economy. This is a multibillion-dollar industry. This is about jobs; this is about economics; this is about freedom…
Cannabis is a plant that grows abundantly, that has been around long before laws existed, before our country even existed, and has a multitude of modern-day uses—aside from getting hippies high….This plant can literally end our dependence on foreign oil and fracking. This plant can literally rebuild our economy—we can make everything from car parts to airplane parts to paper to clothing to nutritious meals cheaply from it, but only if the American people are smart enough to recognize the truth from the bullshit.
The truth is, none of those uses for cannabis that I just mentioned is new. They might seem groundbreaking, almost too good to be true, but there are other countries taking advantage of those uses right now, and the United States is falling behind again. We’ve known about these and many other unique benefits of cannabis for generations, yet we continue to dig a hole deeper into the sand and stick our heads in it.”
Marijuana Manifesto: How Lies, Corruption, and Propaganda Kept Cannabis Illegal, 2016
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs, PhDs, JDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to marijuana or drug policy. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to drug, crime, or public health issues.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- TV host, The World According to Jesse, RT.com
- Visiting Fellow, Kennedy School of Government’s Institute of Politics, Harvard University, 2004
- TV host, Jesse Ventura’s America, MSNBC, 2003
- Governor of Minnesota, 1999-2003
- Radio host, 1995-1998
- Mayor of Brooklyn Park, MN, 1991-1995
- Actor (appeared in the films Predator, Abraxas, Guardian of the Universe, The Running Man, Demolition Man, Repossessed, Batman & Robin, and The Ringer), 1987-2005
- Wrestling commentator, 1985-1995
- Professional wrestler, Jesse “The Body” Ventura, 1973-1984
- Former body guard for the Rolling Stones band
- Recipient, Vietnam Service Ribbon
- Recipient, National Defense Ribbon
- Navy SEAL, 1969-1973
- Attended North Hennepin Community College, 1975
- Twitter handle: @GovJVentura
- Born on July 15, 1951 in Minneapolis, MN; given name was James George Janos
- Ventura stopped wrestling due to blood clots in his lungs, which he said were due to exposure to Agent Orange during the Vietnam War
- Was the first Reform Party candidate ever elected to state or federal office
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should Recreational Marijuana Be Legal?